PJ 10
CHAPTER 19

REC #1 HATONN

MON., DEC. 4, 1989 8:00 A.M. YEAR 3, DAY 110

MON., DEC. 4, 1989

Hatonn ready to begin--what a wondrous day you have upon your countryside, Dharma. I want you to go outside and walk a bit each day. Your body needs it and so does your soul. You ones must look around you at the beauty of your place lest you lose all perspective. You must not only recognize the presence of that which is incorrect and ugly--but you must see that which is your intent of correcting back into balance, as well. If you dwell only on the negative and evil aspects, you will lose your drive for preservation.

Hopelessness breeds inaction and this effort requires positive action. See the wondrous good and beauty that you might hold to your goals as they take for­mation.

Thank you Oberli, for bringing into my attention a statement I made in a previ­ous writing regarding selling and buying gold. Let me clarify it now before we move into the next journal subject.

BUY OR SELL GOLD

In the instance where I said to "sell" it appears a direct contradiction to my telling you to "buy". Lest you err, let me simply tell you how things will come as to sequence, in all probabilities.

I refer most directly to those ones who have been holding large investments in precious metals. You have a situation here wherein the price of gold from this date of December 4th will rise--expect it probably to move to $1,000, even. Obviously, if you hold a lot in reserve you should sell some, take your profits, place into short-term Treasuries and then, when the downswing hits, you can cash out and replace your gold at a great advantage. I cannot instruct each of you individually so I trust I have clarified my point.

Further, do not expect the entire system to fold simultaneously with the begin­ning of the issuance of new money. You will first of all be in replacement of that which you hold in a ratio type of exchange. Remember that your "big friends in government" are going to hold the system from collapse until they are completely ready with their debit system, etc. You just begin diligently remov­ing your resources out of the banks and S&Ls as rapidly and unnoticeably as possible, converting into nothing larger than $20 for the most part. You can get some in $100s and $50s and then turn around and exchange them for the lower sized bills or if you want to go to the bother, you can have a few (modest num­ber) to exchange on exchange day. What the government is looking for are the large pools of stored money. Don't for one minute think that it is for the big drug lords, although it will catch a bunch of "little" druggies and the government can then show you how wonderful is this new game of charades. They won't have to even raid houses, they can simply confiscate the sums right on the spot.

If you hold more than a given amount you will have to fill in forms, etc., as to why you hold so many large bills, etc. Act NOW and you will have it all under control before the fact.

I trust I have clarified the "gold" situation of the prior "buy"--"sell" confusion. That is intended more for the sophisticated investor. I shall repeat an outline of what appears to be the best type of wealth conversion remaining at your discre­tion. I further expect you who have questions to return to SPIRAL TO ECO­NOMIC DISASTER(#4) and SURVIVAL (#6). Thank you for your attention.

CONVERTING YOUR WEALTH INTO
FORMS SUITABLE FOR
HOME STORAGE

Basically there are only three or four assets that you should hold in your home survival portfolio: cash, gold, U.S. Savings bonds and possibly some bit of silver. Cash should be held in the form of small-denomination bills; $20s and smaller. Larger denominations may not be easily changed during hard times for many various reasons. As times worsen, the smaller bills will be most easily utilized for small purchases.

One way to discreetly accumulate cash is to write checks larger than the amount of a purchase and pocket the difference. Another is to periodically withdraw relatively small amounts of cash from your bank.

You should not make large withdrawals (over $10,000) in cash from a broker­age account or a bank. Doing so forces the broker or bank to generate a cash transaction form to the U.S. Treasury Department. Your name will be placed on a list of suspected "cash hoarders" and filed for future reference. You may be subsequently investigated for involvement in money laundering or, when the government needs money in some future crisis, the Treasury may try to get its hands on your private reserves.

Store cash in a dry, airtight container. Tupperware type containers or zip-lock heavy bags will work well for this purpose. Always put the cash into plastic baggies within the final container.

Gold is the next-most liquid asset to cash. Gold represents real wealth and at the outset of a Depression may sharply rise in value. When it does you will probably want to exchange it for cash or government securities as outlined above; like all other assets, gold will eventually decline dramatically in price. Gold should be purchased in the form of 1/10-ounce coins which today are worth about $50--the price of two or three bags of groceries.

The most popular 1/10-ounce gold coins are the South African Kruggerand, the U.S. Eagle and the Canadian Maple Leaf. There are some others such as the Panda, but my scanner shows the three former ones to still be the most suitable.

I believe that Investment Rarities Inc, (See appendix) will give you valid in­formation as regards the best investment modality.

For best liquidity, of course, you will probably want to stay with the U.S. coin, although all three contain the same amount of gold. You should test the gold coins you purchase with a counterfeit detector (such as those made by Fisch and perhaps several of you could even share in the acquisition of such a device), al­though counterfeits of 1/10-ounce coins are not the problem that you will find with the larger 1/2-ounce and one-ounce issues. I will later check into where you can obtain a counterfeit checking device and place it in the appendix under "counterfeit".

The best place to buy gold is over the counter at a coin shop or at a coin show. Pay in cash or with a money order; DO NOT USE A PERSONAL CHECK. Don't leave your name or address with the dealer. Like cash, gold is a very difficult asset for the government to track ownership of--and in a crisis, you will not want the government (or anyone else, for that matter) to know you are hoarding it. As time moves onward the government will undoubtedly lower re­quired reporting systems so pay attention to new regulations going into effect and act accordingly.

I further expect some several of my dear ones to open a corporation-owned coin shop and jewelry shop. This will allow you to have available in local areas an excuse to have large quantities available.

Store the gold reserves in the rolls in which they are purchased. Seal these in plastic containers with tape to keep out the moisture. Elsewhere in this journal I will make suggestions as to where to stash the goodies around your house or property.

Savings bonds are the only full-faith U.S. government obligations that can still be held personally. All other such obligations are now recorded in "book entry" form on government computers. You can buy older-issue bonds and obtain the certificates, but savings bonds are more practical for most people.

Savings bonds are available from virtually any bank. You will be required to show identification and each bond will be labeled with your name, address and Social Security number. Since savings bonds are not really a private invest­ment, there is no need to disguise your ownership of them by paying in cash or with a money order.

Silver has been demonetized, but may participate to some extent in a gold rally at the beginning of a Depression. Then its price, too, will decline. Silver should be held in the form of 40 percent silver Kennedy half dollars, which were made from 1965 to 1970. These coins have about 1/7-ounce silver, mak­ing them worth about 75 cents each at current silver prices.

The advantage of the 40 percent Kennedy halves is that they are legal tender. If silver prices plunge, the coins will always be worth at least 50 cents, so your downside is strictly limited. And if silver prices go up, so will the value of the coins.

Silver should be purchased the same way you buy gold--in person and paid for in cash or with a money order.

I wish to now move on with the journal and shall return to the How-to's of protecting your wealth from loss by fire or theft at a more appropriate place­ment for we still need to cover security and privacy within your home.

CASHLESS SOCIETY

Government bureaucrats, particularly those that inhabit the IRS, don't particu­larly like cash transactions, to make a gross understatement. Cash is difficult, if not impossible to trace at this current date. Cash makes it easier to do business "off the books". Cash is a private way to do business.

One way for the bureaucrats to do away with cash is to make possible substi­tutes very convenient. Today, credit cards and personal checks have done away with most cash transactions. And tomorrow, electronic "debit cards" promise to do away with the remainder.

With a "debit card", purchases are paid for with a card read by a merchant's computer terminal. Your bank account is debited automatically for the amount of purchase and the merchant's account simultaneously credited that same amount, minus a service charge.

The process is neat, simple and all the paperwork is done automatically. But if what you are purchasing is something that you wish to keep private, then you have a major problem. Suppose it is a gold counterfeit device?

Debit cards will be popular with merchants because they will permit an instant, foolproof credit to be applied to their accounts. Bouncing checks and credit card chargebacks will become relics of the past. Debit cards will also permit a merchant to categorize his customers by what they purchase and how much they spend. This analysis will permit him to direct his marketing efforts appropri­ately.

Banks like debit cards because they can deduct a service charge for making ev­ery transaction. Marketing firms like them since the profile created from indi­vidual purchases will create a much more detailed picture of consumer spending patterns.

Debit cards won't eliminate cash overnight. But their convenience makes them a sure bet as a hot product of the nineties and beyond and thereby almost negating possibilities of collecting cash for reserves. Debit cards are already in use in some nations such as France and in a limited number of U.S. cities. If it already has not come to your home town--it will!

"NEW MONEY"

If cash cannot be eliminated, why not manufacture it so that it can always be traced and the bureaucrats can always know where it is? Simple solution--call in all the old money and issue new money with magnetic strips. Then install metal detectors at all border crossings. Anyone crossing the border will set off an inexpensive alarm if he is carrying excessive cash. All that is left after the decision is simply to start. Well, they have started and here it comes! Further, they can keep tabs on all ones within the borders who hold or use large quanti­ties of the marked currency.

Government officials claim you need a new currency to squelch counterfeiting and money laundering--at least that is the hogwash they are handing you to make you plead for the process to begin "yesterday". You do want to protect your family from those nasty old drug dealers and money-laundering scums, don't you? Of course you do for you are a good, honest, patriotic citizen.

The first step was taken in July, 1986 (yes, almost four years ago). This came with the introduction of a transitional currency employing a difficult-to-repro­duce plastic thread interwoven into the design. Without question, this makes U.S. currency much more difficult to counterfeit.

Plastic threads, however, don't do anything to fight money laundering. What would be effective would be a sudden and unannounced recall of U.S. currency, to be replaced by a new "magnetic" currency. WELL, I AM HEREBY ANNOUNCING IT!

According to a "White Paper" recently published by The Oxford Club, the key decision the investor needs to make is to figure out which form a currency recall will take. The real question of interest to members of the Club, the report stated, is not whether or not a new currency is introduced, but how it is intro­duced.

Let me just quote here, please:

"Will it be introduced over a period of time, coexisting with existing currency, as the "official Treasury position" states, or will existing currency actually be recalled? Remember, one of the most significant reasons provided for introducing a new currency is to flush out hidden "drug money". Only with a recall would such money come out of the closets.

"If it is true that metal strips will be woven into the new currency, such bills would be difficult for all but the most skilled counterfeiters to reproduce. But consider the use to which a simple airport metal detector could be converted in the event of a metal currency. Instead of being used to detect weapons in the carry-on luggage of passengers, the metal detector would positively identify individuals boarding an airline with large amounts of cash. For instance, any in­ternational flight originating in the U.S. could be screened to determine who was in violation of increasingly stringent U.S. foreign exchange laws.

"What would be the point of introducing currency with metallic strips if a recall was not planned? After all, under a voluntary conversion, anyone wishing to leave the country with a large amount of cash would simply take "old money". From the government's point of view, this would completely defeat the purpose of the new currency to flush out 'drug money'.

"Another clue comes from the operation of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing's new Fort Worth facility. Repeated delays in construction of this mammoth and top-secret government plant seem to be tied to the delays in in­troduction of a new currency. The plant will be approximately 300,000 square feet in size and is to be equipped with the latest state-of-the-art German printing presses.

"Highly-placed sources inform us that the facility has been producing currency for some time. But no currency exchange has been announced. The only possible conclusion is that the new money is being stockpiled for a mass introduction at a later time.

"The only reason for a major stockpile of new money with metallic strips would be for a currency recall, not replacement. And if such a recall takes place, then anyone with hidden wealth that cannot be strictly accounted for could be forced to bare his soul to account for the source of those funds.

"Why? If a specific date were set whereupon all our present money must be exchanged for new money, after which the "old money" is no longer legal tender, then you would be forced to make the exchange. At that point, the IRS would simply ask anyone turning in "old money" for "new money" to pro­duce documentation that the funds were obtained legally--and for proof that taxes were paid.

"Such a recall would not require Congressional approval. The President simply needs to declare a national emergency. He could state, for instance, that the national drug epidemic warrants such action. And he could set a short time limit--say 30 days--for exchange of the old currency for the new.

"There are ample precedents for this course of action. President Roo­sevelt, for instance, used his emergency powers to impound gold from the American public in 1933. And since that date, Congress has awarded the Presi­dent with a dazzling array of emergency powers, most of which have been passed secretly and are not even published in the Library of Congress. In short, the President can do practically anything he wants to. A currency recall, in this context, is practically a non-event.

"Even if you don't think you have anything to hide, currency recall could touch your life directly. For instance, if you are involved in any type of activity in which your labors are exchanged for cash, when you exchange that cash, you will be asked to account for it.

"In the past, you might consider placing such money into a savings or checking account, but since the Supreme Court ruled that checks are public documents (since a third party, the bank, is involved), the IRS is therefore al­lowed to scrutinize all personal banking account transaction history. In fact, if you wish to hide money, a bank is possibly the worst place you could put it!

"Millions of us have perfectly legitimate reasons to hold large amounts of cash. These reasons are private and do not relate to any improper or unlaw­ful activity. A mandatory switch would be a serious attack on everyone.

"For instance, many people who experienced the Great Depression first hand recall that thousands of banks failed during those years. Anyone who lost money in a failed bank during the Depression may simply prefer to keep his money in cash.

"If you think that there would be massive opposition to such a conver­sion, you are not reading the same opinion polls that I am. Market Facts, a market research company, showed enormous public support for any currency exchange that was part of a fight against counterfeiting. Moreover, columnists such as William Safire have gone on record as favoring currency recall to fight drug trafficking and money laundering.

"Certainly, there have been very few protests in previous currency re­calls. Roosevelt's impounding of privately-owned gold resulted in a few squeals from the wealthy, but most people went along. (Those who didn't were subject to a 10 year prison sentence and a $10,000 fine)".

The cashless society and the new money are two enormously threatening trends from the standpoint of personal privacy. Be ready for them by converting any large stocks of cash into a foreign bank account or some other types of invest­ment as described elsewhere.

I would like the next segment to be set aside in its own "chapter" please, so perhaps we could take a short break before we continue.

Hatonn to stand-by.

PJ 10
CHAPTER 20

REC #2 HATONN

MON., DEC. 4, 1989 11:00 A.M. YEAR 3, DAY 110

MON., DEC. 4, 1989

GOVERNMENT BY EMERGENCY

Today, the U.S. faces a multitude of crises. The banking system is practically bankrupt. Debt stands at an all-time high. The AIDS epidemic threatens to overrun the citizenry.

These are but three crises of many which could result in economic or physical devastation for the United States. And if such development were imminent, the President of the U.S. would almost certainly declare a national emergency to deal with it.

The presumed excuse for a declaration of national emergency is a nuclear war. In fact, most emergency regulations state explicitly that nuclear war is the most likely, but not exclusive, reason to force a declaration of national emergency. In a national emergency, the U.S. government can invoke a vast array of laws and regulations to deal with the crisis at hand. Many of these have profoundly negative privacy implications.

Emergency regulations cover the President with virtually unlimited powers with which he can affect the lives of American citizens in a host of all-encompassing ways. This vast range of powers confers enough authority on the President to rule the country without reference to normal constitutional processes.

The President might seize property, organize and control the means of produc­tion, seize commodities; assign military forces abroad; institute martial law; seize and control all transportation and communications; regulate the operation of private enterprise; restrict travel; and in a plethora of particular ways, control the lives of all American citizens.

The proportions of this particular network of emergency are tremendous--and totally undocumented. Even the Library of Congress has no centralized record of emergency regulations. According to a study done by your Air Force, more than 13,000 executive orders have already been issued. To overturn an emer­gency regulation requires a two-thirds majority of Congress--so they are not very often reversed.

Let me list a few orders with chilling privacy implications:

Executive Order 11921: "Emergency Preparedness Functions".

This begins with total censorship--not just press censorship, but the total control of all "devices capable of emitting electromagnetic radiation". That means regulation, perhaps even confiscation, of C.B. radios, televisions and computers. It further authorizes utilization of excess and surplus real and per­sonal property. The interpretation is that property owned by "hoarders" will be confiscated and sold. Who is a "hoarder"? To the bureaucrat, anyone with the foresight to prepare in advance for an extended bout of emergency controls. Hopefully--all of you!

Emergency Banking Regulation No. 1. Imposed in 1961, this venerable emer­gency order provides for strict restriction on the right of U.S. citizens to draw on their banking accounts in times of crisis. Cash withdrawals would be re­stricted, according to the regulation, "except for those purposes, and not in ex­cess of those amounts, for which cash is customarily used." Moreover, "banking institutions shall prohibit withdrawals of cash in any case where there is reason to believe that such withdrawal is sought for the purpose of hoarding".

You will be happy to know, however, that if a national emergency is declared, the IRS will be ready to audit your tax return. According to IRS spokesman Johnell Hunter, a newly revised section of the Internal Revenue Manual pro­vides for the agency to resume collection of taxes within 30 days of a nuclear attack. The revision, completed in December, 1988, reads in part:

"On the premise that the collection of delinquent accounts would be most adversely affected, and in many cases would be impossible, the service will concentrate on the collection of current taxes. How­ever, in areas where the taxpaying potential is substantially unim­paired, enforced collection of delinquent accounts will be continued".

SO BE IT!

AIDS EPIDEMIC

AIDS is rapidly becoming the most important disease since the Black Plague--ultimately far worse. The privacy implications of fighting the spread of this al­ways-fatal affliction are staggering.

As the AIDS epidemic worsens, an AIDS test will become a routine part of ap­plication for employment, insurance--all manners of health assistance, etc. A positive test will make it virtually impossible for the "victim" to work or obtain medical or life insurance. AIDS test results will become public knowledge.

AIDS test results will be made available to public health officials and, by exten­sion, to insurance companies and credit bureaus and distributed nationwide.

Members of groups known to be susceptible to AIDS will suffer increased discrimination. For instance, homosexuals have so far borne the brunt of the AIDS epidemic in the U.S. Insurance companies are already denying coverage to persons who are admitted or suspected homosexuals or drug users. Some insurance companies have even denied coverage to individuals living in zip codes where large numbers of "gays" are known to reside. Of course you will not be openly told, at this point, the truth about the refusal to grant insurance.

Mass quarantines of AIDS victims will probably begin. AIDS "concentration camps", which have already been the subject of a California ballot initiative may be built and AIDS victims (or perhaps those even testing positive for the AIDS virus) will be placed there to die.

Do these measures sound unlikely and far-fetched? Wait a while until the an­nual number of AIDS deaths in the U.S. numbers in the millions, rather than the thousands. AIDS will generate a full-fledged panic in the U.S. Privacy will be the last concern of those who must deal with this deadly epidemic. And further, how and who will support this major medical care problem?

BIOLOGICAL PRIVACY

The discovery of the "genetic code" in 1953 has spread development of an en­tirely new biological technology in the last 36 years. Techniques now under development will be able to "fix" genetic flaws--and more importantly from the standpoint of privacy, to detect them with greater and greater precision.

Do you think that an insurance company or employer would be interested if a genetic screening on you found that you had a "predisposition" to alcoholism or to heart disease--how about kidney failure?

Such technology is only now being developed. But as it is perfected, it will be­come possible for insurance companies, employers and the government to deny employment or insurance (or end it!) subject to the results of a mandatory test of your blood or urine. Now if you think this is unlikely and too much to be­lieve from Hatonn, please obtain Biology, Medicine And The Bill Of Rights. (See appendix.)

Make sure you are adequately insured, and gainfully employed, before these tests come into widespread use!

WHAT ABOUT THAT LITTLE
COUNTING GAME CALLED "CENSUS"!

There is a massive media campaign already underway in the U.S. by the U.S. Bureau of the Census in preparation for the 1990 census. Among other topics, the Bureau is advertising that information related in census forms is confidential and that "the census is safe". Oh, please, by now I trust none of you buy into that ridiculous lie.

The variety of information the census requests--your racial background, your income, etc.,--is private information. And it is a crime to insert false data into a census form.

The Census Bureau claims that it goes to great lengths to keep census returns secret. What they really mean is that they go to any lengths to make you THINK THEY ARE KEPT SECRET. The immense task of compiling the cen­sus requires computerization. Moreover, once the data is computer-compiled, it is released in the form of "statistical abstracts" and made available to marketing and government organizations.

While your identity "might" be protected in such abstracts, it is possible to gen­erate a remarkably accurate profile of your income and social status by match­ing census data on the neighborhood you live in with your Social Security num­ber.

Of course the census is not safe. Ask a good old Japanese-American. In the early years of World War II, 112,000 U.S. citizens of Japanese ancestry were rounded up and interned for the duration of the war in concentration camps. In the 1970s, it was finally revealed how the Army had found where the Japanese lived--THROUGH DATA RELEASED BY THE CENSUS BUREAU!

In World War I the Census Bureau provided law enforcement officials with the names and addresses of young men to the Justice Department that were to be prosecuted for draft evasion.

ADVICE? DON'T BREAK THE LAW BY INSERTING FALSE DATA INTO A CENSUS FORM AND FILL IT ALL IN. IF YOU DON'T WISH TO COMPLETE A PARTICULAR QUESTION, SIMPLY WRITE, "I DON'T KNOW" OR "I DON'T UNDERSTAND".

Before I give you a conclusive "suggestion list" I want to cover the subject of privacy in your dwelling place.

HOME PRIVACY

How do you keep unwanted visitors out of your home? Well, you don't ask them in and you do what you can to keep them from being able to get in in the first place.

There are few feelings more threatening than that of invasion. The prospect of a home invasion represents the ultimate threat to privacy and the ultimate feel­ing of violation to your person.

The most elementary level of privacy in the home is to employ tactics to keep unwanted visitors out of it. Here are some suggestions that you should con­sider, none of which require "high technology".

Keep the area around you home free of obstructions that can hide an intruder. Trim or cut down shrubs to a level where you can see through to the street. In addition, shrubs surrounding a house should be trimmed back so that they offer minimal concealment. You may just have to give up a bit of landscaping de­sirability in exchange for privacy and security.

Improve the quality of your exterior lighting. Illuminate your yard and drive­way at night or at least the areas in the immediate vicinity of your house. The easiest way to control exterior lighting is to use a photocell-controlled switch which automatically goes on at dusk and off at dawn.

High-pressure sodium lights are most economical but give off an orange "glow" that you may find unpleasant. Mercury lamps (which give off a bluish glow) and metal halide lamps (which have a color very similar to household incandescent bulbs) are generally easier to live with than high-pressure sodium lights and are considerably more energy efficient than ordinary floodlights.

Many electrical utilities will install photocell-controlled exterior lights on your property and then bill you a set fee each month--usually no more than $10-$15 per month. This is an extremely economical solution if it is available in your locality. If it is not available perhaps your local Property Owner's Association could lobby for you as a group and get the service into your neighborhood along with some type of neighborhood watch program.

Secure all doors to make uninvited access more difficult. Exterior doors should be solid wood; steel is even better. Cheap plywood doors can be "opened" sim­ply by kicking them in. Buy doors with "peepholes", not windows. A window can be smashed to evade the locked door. Finally, place door hinges on the in­side, so that the door cannot be opened by removing them. Replace short screws that secure door hinges with longer screws that penetrate into the fram­ing of the house. That will make the hinge side of the door much more resistant to forced entry.

Next, install high-quality deadbolts on all exterior doors. Cheap locks can be pried off with a large set of channel lock pliers. If you are not sure how to choose a high-quality deadbolt, ask a locksmith. There are companies which produce locks which are virtually unpickable. (Medeco, Abloy, and Fichet). Have a locksmith install the new locks, which should be keyed on both sides.

A double-keyed lock will have to be unlocked from the inside every time you wish to exit from your home. Keep a key handy, but don't keep it in the inte­rior door lock or other location where an intruder can simply pick it up to un­lock the door.

Many homes have sliding glass doors which are very simple to penetrate. A skilled intruder can break into a home through a sliding glass door in a matter of seconds by lifting it off its track or by forcing its almost-always inadequate lock open.

To protect a sliding glass door from being lifted off its track, drill a series of holes at eight-inch intervals on the inside of the door frame about 1/4 inch be­low the top of the frame. Then insert screws in these holes that are large enough so that they must be twisted in and out.

To guard against locks being forced, drill a hole in the metal area where one sliding door overlaps the other when the unit is completely shut. Then place a large nail in the hole. You can also insert a metal bar or stout wooden rod in the path where the door would be forced open, bracing it against the door frame.

Secure all windows. Your next step should be to critically examine all win­dows. The best kind of window protection is locking shutters, but few home­owners are willing to go to the considerable expense of installing them. Single-hung windows can be protected using the same method described for sliding glass doors; i.e., drill a hole and insert a nail in the hole in the overlapping area.

You can also buy locks that fit in the window frames to prevent the window from being opened. Buy the type that is opened and closed with an allen-head (hexagonal) wrench. It is more difficult to force open than types that operate with a thumbscrew.

The jalousie windows found in Florida and other mild climates are completely unsuited to security and should be replaced with crank-operated or double-hung windows. (A Southern Florida television station once filmed an ex-con break­ing into a home in less than 30 seconds by removing jalousie panes and pene­trating the window screen with his fist).

Get a dog. A female is best. One technique used by serious thieves to silence or distract a male dog is to bring along a female in heat. A barking dog, no matter its size, will discourage intruders. When you are training the dog, make sure that you don't make him afraid to bark since that is exactly what you want him to do if he hears an intruder.

IF YOUR HOME IS INVADED
If your home is broken into, your first instinct may be to confront the intruder. This is not recommended since you have no idea who or how many individuals you will be facing. By doing so you are literally taking your life into your hands.

A better strategy is to retreat into a "citadel room" that you have prepared in advance with heavy doors that has no window access. If this room is equipped with a telephone, you can go to it at the first sign of trouble and call for help, knowing that you are relatively safe. If you keep a firearm in your home this is the room where it should be stored.

Never use a firearm against an intruder unless it is literally a case of life or death. Laws in most states impose a burden of self-defense on a private citizen using a firearm; you can discharge a gun only if your life is in imminent dan­ger. Of course, if an intruder manages to penetrate into your citadel room and confronts you, your use of a firearm to stop him would probably be justified. Remember this slogan: "Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six"!

SECURITY SYSTEM

Once you have completed these simple steps, none of which require much tech­nology, you might wish to consider electronic security hardware to detect and/or deter home intrusion. An enormous variety of equipment is available to home-owners for this purpose, including closed-circuit television, motion sen­sors, noise detectors, etc. For best effect, this technology should be incorpo­rated into an integrated system.

The following comments of Paul Nelson, author of Designing An Alarm System, should be helpful in designing an electronic security system for your home or business. (See appendix.)

In order to design a security system for your home or business you must under­stand why they are needed. You must also think in terms of how a burglar at­tacks a home or business. And you must understand the reasons why different situations require different types of protection.

The best place to begin is with the method of operation of the thief. To design a security system, you must think like the thief. You should first ask yourself: How would I enter the building with the least risk to myself?

ENTRY

FBI statistics tell you that most surreptitious entries, a full 90%, are made through doors; 6% through windows, 3% through the roof and 1% right through the walls.

You must also determine the value of the commodity you want to protect--what is the thief after in your place?

High risk items include expensive consumer products with instant cash value: jewelry, gold, silver, furs, appliances and of course, cash itself.

Medium risk items include expensive consumer products with instant, but lower, cash value: electric typewriters, calculators, computers, musical instru­ments, power tools.

Low risk items are not easily liquidated for cash and probably will not be stolen by an experienced thief; they include books, furniture and things of that nature.

Next, consider when the burglary will occur. Commercial burglaries usually occur when the business is not open, primarily at night or on weekends. Occa­sionally a business will be burglarized in the early morning hours.

Residential burglaries usually occur during the daylight hours. 85% of the time the home is unoccupied at the time of the burglary.

Next, examine different classification of burglars. Professional burglars can be classified according to their breaking and entering skills. A Class 1 burglar can evade most alarm systems as well as pick locks. These individuals usually go after only the high-risk items we have already described.

A Class II professional usually won't attack an alarm system. Instead, he will evade it by evading the points of a building that are usually alarmed (windows and doors) and enter into the building through the roof or walls. He steals pri­marily high-risk items.

A Class III professional won't attack alarm systems at all and will go after ei­ther high-risk or medium-risk items.

A properly designed alarm system will protect all except Class I burglars. And even a Class I burglar won't usually attack a home armed with an alarm. There are too many homes without alarms to attack with less risk of being caught.

A robber uses different tactics from a burglar. He places an individual in fear of his life in order to remove valuables from his person or his property. Many businesses are vulnerable to robberies or "hold-ups", particularly if they main­tain large amounts of cash or other high-risk items. Banks, grocery stores, liquor stores and convenience stores are some of the most frequently-robbed businesses.

In alarm security, a hold-up or robbery signal must be separate and distinct from the burglar alarm. It is usually a silent alarm. In a residence it would be called a "panic button".

There are various types of alarm equipment used in an electronic security sys­tem.

A local alarm is a bell or siren to notify neighbors or passers-by of unauthorized entry and to frighten a burglar into leaving.

A central station alarm notifies a 24-hour per day alarm monitoring station of an emergency at a subscriber's home or business.

Dialer alarms use preprogrammed messages to notify someone at another loca­tion or central station of an intrusion. When the dialer is "tripped", it will call pre-recorded telephone numbers and repeat a pre-recorded message.

A digital dialer (communicator) uses solid state electronics to transmit data to a central station receiving unit, over a regular telephone line.

Perimeter burglary protection involves connecting small-gauge wires to each door or window with a small magnetic switch to form a circuit. A small current is applied continuously. Any break in the circuit activates the alarm.

Space protection devices monitor open spaces within a defined area. Devices currently in use include passive infra-red, photo-electric, ultrasonic and microwave. These are commonly called motion sensors.

The central control panel is the brain of an alarm system. There are hundreds on the market ranging from devices that protect only against a simple burglary to micro-processor controls that have a built-in power supply, back-up battery and provide a variety of other functions and options.

The hold-up alarm (or panic button) is a silent alarm signal activated when a robbery or hold-up takes place. It may be initiated by the opening of a cash drawer, a foot switch or a radio transmitter.

The practical application of an alarm system is dependent on the physical configuration of the property to be protected. A good rule of thumb is to use perimeter protection as the basic part of the system. Interior protection can be added in rooms for which you wish to provide special protection.

The main doors should always be protected as well as any sliding glass doors.

If you install a security system yourself, you should always buy good equip­ment, apply it properly and install it correctly. Read the instructions FIRST and make all connections (and double check them) before applying power to the system. Also make sure the power to the Control Panel is on a 24-hour circuit.

There are also some inexpensive adjuncts to a security system that you might wish to consider.

Timers can make your home or business appear to be occupied even if it is not, by controlling lights, televisions and other appliances. They come in many dif­ferent models, from one time per day on-and-off devices to remote controlled digital devices with separate modules that operate through the house wiring. Some timers are also wireless.

Strobe lights are good attention-getters and may be mounted outside to flash when the alarm system is activated.

A good source for the do-it-yourselfer or the technician who needs to install equipment in a hurry is Radio Shack. They carry a good variety of equipment and tools. No matter where you live there is probably a near-by store.

REMEMBER THAT THE BEST DETERRENT AFTER INSTALLING A SECURITY SYSTEM IS LETTING THE WORLD KNOW THAT YOU HAVE IT. PUT STICKERS ON ALL WINDOWS AND DOORS. THIS IS SOMETHING YOU WANT TO ADVERTISE!

Dharma, let us have a break now, please as I am being summoned for attention elsewhere. When we resume I think I should outline a very touchy matter in this day and time. You need to be able to purchase firearms privately and you need to do so while you can still do so.

This is Hatonn to sign off and move to stand-by status. Thank you.