PJ 06
CHAPTER 15
REC#4ASHTAR
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, 1989 4:30 P.M.YEAR 3, DAY 027

Ashtar returned and ready to continue.

START NOW-EXPAND

Get started. If your representatives in Congress see the light and decide that you deserve more space per occupant, they can vote to build additional shelters. That way, you don't mess up production schedules. You just get more of the same. In short, "Buy two; they're small".

The entire system could be completed in less than two years by means of existing industrial facilities, and with existing and currently underutilized industrial capabilities in steel and concrete production, metal-forming, and earthmoving. The currently idle American assembly line facilities can be used to produce the habitability items, such as radiation meters, hammock beds and chairs, water storage containers, ventilation equipment and blast valves. Then if you expand into a better system these shelters can be converted into massive underground storage facilities as an adjunct to your underground city.

PROTECT THE HOMELESS

As the original facilities become replaced and the need for storage is diminished, you will still have safe, weather protected places to house and tend your homeless. There could be areas selected for kitchens, sleeping, etc. and a program organized for self-tending in exchange for labor and other selected duties. Get your addicted population cleaned up and you will have a whole new working class of contributors.

But what if Congress only spends $100 per person? You cannot go to one square foot per person. Alternative approaches include: 1) shelter for the women and children but not the men; 2) shelters for the "important people" and not the rest of you; 3) shelters without survival equipment: you can't stay inside long, and everybody brings a box lunch. Well, if you get started the communities will find a way. In the cities, if ones will not participate, then you have another type of problem.

The bottom line is that you must start building modular shelters for the children--now.Surely you can agree that you have no moral right to leave them unprotected. Then you build for your soldiers, then for your homes and businesses. If you like the results, you just keep on building and by then you will have found better and more efficient building materials and procedures.

With compressed earth domes you only have to dig half as deep and have equal protection. But, get started. Get started and allow it to grow. A journey is begun by that first step--perhaps this book is the first step for many of you--blessings be upon you for such a decision. Maybe you will even build so many that there will be comfortably low occupancies. Maybe you will even then tie them together with tunnels. Maybe your children, your grandchildren, and your civilization will have a future after all. Perhaps you can be the foundation civilization for a whole new world in transition. So be it.

LOCATIONS OF SHELTERS

You must be certain that the shelters will be located so that most of them cannot be destroyed even by the worst possible deliberate attack on the shelters themselves. This is the best way to ensure that such an attack will never take place. You must place the shelters according to Soviet capability, not according to your perceptions of their intentions.

The United States (not including Alaska) contains approximately 3 million square miles. Nuclear explosions of 500 to 1000 kilotons (1 megaton) at optimum height can destroy most buildings over a 50 to 100 square mile area. Therefore, with an attack by 10,000 explosions, the Soviets could destroy the buildings in an area of about 1 million square miles. Excluding, therefore, buildings in desert, forest, and very rural areas, they have the capability of destroying most of the buildings in the U.S.-----BUT DEAR FRIENDS, THEY WILL NOT DO THAT--FOR THAT WOULD LEAVE THEM WITH NO DEFENSE OR RETALIATION ABILITY AGAINST CHINA. THAT IS ONE REASON THEY HAVE LEFT YOU ALIVE. IT IS STILL A GREAT RISK, FOR THEY KNOW THE CHINESE CAN PROTECT THEMSELVES AND ARE JUST WAITING UNTIL THE SOVIETS ARE WEAKENED IN GREAT MEASURE. OH, IT IS JUST A BIG MERRY-GO-AROUND OF INTRIGUE, IS IT NOT?

As their nuclear arsenal grows, and as the number of their "delivery vehicles" grows, they will be able to knock down even more of your buildings.

TARGETS WILL BE URBAN AREAS AND MILITARY INSTALLATIONS

In practice, of course, they would concentrate explosions in urban areas and around military installations, and keep weapons in reserve for threatening other countries into submission. Such threats will be very effective in a world in which the U.S. no longer exists. Even so, it is unlikely that any city or large town will be free from a direct attack. Clearly you cannot defend your buildings. Only an anti-missile defense system can do that--a deployed strategic defense, not a research and development program.

There are, however, domed structures with the majority of the "floors" underground that, will survive an almost direct explosion for the shock wave and wind force will be deflected from the domed shape. We will speak of those things at a later time--let us just get started at present; we can help you plan and dream and build for the assured future for which you are saving yourselves.

An air-burst attack on your buildings will not harm your people if they are in properly designed, 200 psi sure-safe blast shelters, The blast shelters could only be harmed by a ground-burst attack. Besides being much less effective at destroying buildings, a ground-burst attack would also not be effective in de짯stroying very many of your shelters.

WHAT OF NEUTRON BOMBS AND PARTICLE BEAMS?

I would insert in this portion for you who are already asking: What about neutron bombs that preserve buildings and just kill life? What about particle beams that back feed and chain react into oblivion? THE COSMIC COUNCIL MAY ALLOW A GREAT DEAL OF INTERFERENCE FROM WE, THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE FEDERATION; FOR WITH THOSE WEAPONS YOU WOULD MOST PROBABLY ANNIHILATE YOUR PLANET AND THAT WILL NOT BE ALLOWED IF AT ALL PREVENTABLE. WE WILL INTERCEDE. WE HAVE ALREADY BEEN CALLED INTO ACTION BY BOTH THE UNITED STATES, THE SOVIET UNION AND SEVERAL TIMES BY CHINA TO STOP CHAIN REACTIONS FROM YOUR PARTICLE BEAM SYSTEMS. ONCE AT CHERNOBLE, ONCE JUST BEFORE A MAJOR SUMMIT IN EUROPE, ONCE AT THE LIVERMORE LABORATORIES NEAR SAN FRANCISCO. OH, WE ARE MUCH MORE ACCEPTED THAN YOU MIGHT EVER BELIEVE TO HEAR TELL OF IT. LET US JUST DEAL HERE WITH LITTLE OLD NUCLEAR BOMBS AND SHELTERS THEREFOR.

LITTLE OLD "REGULAR" NUCLEAR BOMBS

A ground surface burst, 500 to 1000-kiloton explosion produces a crater about 0.03 square miles in area. You read it correctly: three one-hundredths of a square mile. This can vary, of course, in accordance with soil type and other factors. In addition, soil and rock ejected from the crater covers an additional 0.1 square miles to a significant depth--a depth that, in the absence of a tunnel system, might fatally trap the occupants of an underground blast shelter. In addition, there is severe ground-transmitted shock and pressure in the immediate vicinity of a nuclear explosion. For these reasons, it is impractical to build civilian blast shelters that can resist ground bursts within their own 0.6 square mile location. Six tenths of a mile is not much area.

The shelters described herein would be sure-safe outside of a 0.6 square mile area around a ground burst explosion of a one-megaton nuclear weapon. They would be surely destroyed within a 0.3 square mile area. In between, they would be partially destroyed.

DIRTY LITTLE EARTHQUAKE SIDE EFFECTS

You will find the Soviets have another dirty little scheme--they have targeted some of the most stressed areas of your fault line systems for directed ground-짯burst missiles. These would trigger your Earth fault line and the devastation of such a power supported quake would be tremendously more destructive than that which you are expecting from Mother Nature

WHAT IF THE SHELTERS ARE GROUND-BURST TARGETED?

What if the Soviets, knowing that you are going to be tucked safely in your little shelters, simply targeted the shelters with ground bursts? For 230 million people, you will need 1.5 million shelters, as compared with 10,000 Soviet weapons. Clearly they cannot kill many of you unless you put the shelters too close together.

Half the people of the United States live at a density of 1,500 people per square mile or less. They would need less than one shelter per 0.1 square miles. The low densities of people in rural locations would require a few more minutes on average to reach shelter, or else placement of extra shelters with fewer people per shelter. In the worst case, therefore, the Soviets could only endanger six shelters per explosion and could only surely destroy less than three with one bomb.

An additional 30 percent of your people live at densities of more than 1,500 but less than 6,000 per square mile. For them the risk would be a minimum of 3 shelters per explosion and a maximum of 24.

When these facts and also the circumstances of those people living at even higher densities are taken into consideration, the estimate is a maximum of less than 10 percent of your blast shelters could be destroyed by an all-out ground-burst attack on the shelters themselves with the entire Soviet nuclear weapons inventory--pretty good odds by any count.

Dharma, enough for now as I would rather start fresh later as I note you are getting muscle cramps. You are doing well, chela, and we will proceed as rapidly as possible but it cannot all be done by one in one day. So be it and my blessings upon you and my beloved assistants for I realize I am piling great workloads on already burdened backs. I salute you for your contributions in such love and willingness. The gift will perhaps be the saving of a nation and its peoples. That would be a reward of great abundance in itself.

I AM THAT I AM, IN THE SERVICE OF GOD AND IMMANUEL SANANDA, I AM ASHTAR SIGNING OFF, CLEARING CIRCUIT��╈��.OUT.

PJ 06
CHAPTER 16
REC# 2ASHTAR
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 19899:00 A.M.YEAR 3, DAY 028

Ashtar come to share and witness, Dharma. Your heart is heavy with things of life: You knew that your path would not be one of ease and further, you knew it would be filled with danger. You ones must come into your senses for in your innocence you blunder. In your carelessness you can blunder and cause great pain and damage to your brothers and unto our most fragile cred짯ibility base. You ones must be pure and responsible beyond all others for ye are the light; you cannot light of a path with smudged candle globes. Ye ones are the fish within the fishbowl of fishbowls. Dark ones always appear in innocence -- why would Satan call himself the "Prince of Light?" If you are given to feel uncomfortable about any situation--know that there is something WRONG with it. Those negative prodding��셲 are sent forth from us at your request--heed them!

Let us continue in our work to get you some survival shelters, but I want you ones to use your heads and see the ultimate damage done if our work is discredited in any measure. Further, I prefer that you ones make it long enough to be able to physically need the shelters. Through carelessness you can be "taken out". Through irresponsible behavior or deliberate actions of negative intent; we will remove you from the projects--we are not dealing with afternoon tea and crumpets; we are about the transition of a world and a survival of a civilization. Consider this a most severe warning from your Commander, please.

SHELTER LOCATIONS

Some of this material I would now utilize from the good doctors' book, but my agreement is that if I utilize some of a chapter, I utilize all. My purpose for not doing so is to cause ones to be caused to get their book and to get the references and back-up materials to make the plan function; you will need go to their sources or you will not be able to utilize my information properly. My purpose is not to use a human's information but to cause you to wake up, get busy and get information of substance, from ones who know what they are doing on an Earth plane. I would simply hit you soundly upon thy heads with the book if I were so allowed. Get the information---these are the ones we recommend you utilize of their knowledge and research. GET THEIR BOOK, GET THEM TO HEAD UP YOUR PROGRAM IF YOU CAN 짯 AND GET MOVING. ASHTAR AND BROTHERS HAVE NO INTEREST IN YOUR PUBLISHING BOOK BUSINESS, NOR YOUR RESOURCES, NOR ALMOST ANYTHING ELSE YOU HAVE; WE ARE EFFORTING AT KEEPING YOU ALIVE AND INTO WISDOM AND KNOWLEDGE, YOU ONES OF THE FATHER'S FLOCKS. THE WORLD AS YOU KNOW IT WILL COME TO A SCREECHING HALT JUST AS PROCLAIMED BY THE PROPHETS--IT IS UNDER WAY RIGHT THIS MOMENT; THEREFORE WHAT YOU ONES DO IS MOST HIGHLY IMPORTANT. YOU WILL HAVE NUCLEAR WAR, THE ONLY QUESTION AT ALL IN POINT, IS 'WHEN'. YOU NEED THE SHELTER SYSTEM ALL THE REMAINDER OF THE WAY THROUGH THE TRANSITION SO, AT WORST, THE SHELTERS WILL NOT BE USELESS.

Drs. Robinson and North make some excellent population comparisons and excellent observations which I will utilize, this in no way relieves you of the responsibility of obtaining their comprehensive information.

Air-burst is the detonation of choice in any enemy attack. Air-burst attack will take out your buildings and above ground installation to put you out of operation. Ground-burst explosions are much less effective for blast damage than are air-burst weapons. The buildings near the explosion are destroyed, but the land surface area covered by destructive blast forces is much less. Therefore, if you had large numbers of small blast shelters distributed at your non-evacuated population density, the casualty rate would be so low as to render an attack on the shelters impractical and ineffective.

Let me add comments at this point. Up to this point there has been no need for consideration of any but major air-burst systems because that would easily wipe out your human population above ground. If they could utilize weaponry that would wipe out life and preserve utility buildings, etc., that would, of course, be the weapon of choice. That is not going to be allowed so the next strategy is do second best. At your status of helplessness you are most vulnerable above ground so air-burst bombs are most preferable, even if buildings and technical installations must be rebuilt. As things move along it may change. You see, an occupying group must consider the occupation populace. Ground-burst weapons leave more useable buildings, but you have a tremendous fallout problem and then you could move into a semi-nuclear winter with tremendous clouds of radioactive material--circling the globe, which could bring the fallout right back on one's home base. You see, this makes the point--there is risk involved and that buys you more time.

CURRENT "HANGING-ROPE" SALES

I further hope my crew noted the news of yesterday, where the Soviet leaders are asking the U.S. to get behind their freedom movement and support them with more money and supplies, as well as additional trade. If your spines I further hope my crew noted the news of yesterday, where the Soviet leaders are asking the U.S. to get behind their freedom movement and support them didn't have chills--twenty days in isolation for you! What is so terrible, is the citizen taxpayer will push for that very thing--��쐓end the rope---send the rope��� and the scaffolding and the trap door. Let us have peace and friendship at any cost--that cost is your annihilation, dear old U.S. citizens.

SHELTERS NEED TO BE NEAR USUAL LOCATIONS OF POPULATION

You must have your blast shelters near your usual locations so that you can have instant protection. You will not need to evacuate. But blast shelters are a bit more costly than simple fallout shelters. Why not evacuate into the countryside and build fallout shelters?

The Soviet civil defense systems relied in part upon evacuation during the years that their blast shelter system was under construction. Of course, they had the advantage of warning, since it is their military doctrines that call for a surprise first-strike. Yours do not.

Now that Soviets have completed a formidable blast shelter system, they no longer depend upon evacuation. Unfortunately, and most stupidly, some of your planners still propose evacuation schemes that assume long warning times. They assume that you will see the Soviet evacuation and then have time to act. Evacuation is no longer required by the Soviets, so there will be no early spy warning of preparatory evacuation of the Soviets. This was an obvious development, since their military strategy of a surprise first-strike could hardly include the obvious warning of evacuation in their own camp.

In the face of the Soviet threat, the Chinese built an evacuation system--30 feet underground. The Chinese plans do not depend on warning and evacuation time. They know their enemy. In addition to their early knowledge, the Soviets have the following advantages: we have fewer attack weapons; most of those weapons will be destroyed by the Soviet's first strike; those that you manage to launch will encounter their formidable strategic missile defense systems; and, finally, if any do get through, they will not do much damage to a country that has protected most of Its industry and has blast sheltered its population.

Shelter density is illustrated by reference to maps labeled 1 and 2 In FIGHTING CHANCE, which are outline maps of Washington, D.C. and its Surrounding counties: Montgomery and Prince George's (Maryland) and Fairfax (Virginia); and maps of Los Angeles and Orange Counties in California. (Ashtar: this should make you ones in Los Angeles tingle with delight--it indicates a potential deadly target area, beloved friends and relatives in Southern California coastal areas.)

WASHINGTON D.C. AREA AND LOS ANGELES/ORANGE COUNTY

In 1980, Washington, D.C., Montgomery County, Fairfax County, and Prince George's County had populations of 638,400,579,100,596,900, and 665,100 respectively, for a total of 2,479,500, or about 1% of the US population. The corresponding surface areas are 63, 495, 393, and 487 square miles respectively.Therefore, the average population densities in these four regions are 10,100, 1,700, 1,500, and 1,400 persons per square mile.

Because most people within the three counties are concentrated in about one half of the areas, the actual density is about 3000 persons per square mile, with densities approaching twice that, or 6000 per square mile, in a few localities. In Washington, D.C. itself, the additional increase in density involves a little higher risk per shelter.

In order to kill everyone in the shelters, an area of about 700 square miles would need to be attacked with about 2000 ground-burst explosions, on one city, Washington, D.C. and its suburbs, in order to kill 1 % of your people. Those 2000 weapons represent 20 percent of the available Soviet arsenal. On the other hand, only 10 to 15 explosions in the air would destroy the buildings in this entire area, and would also kill nearly all of the people who were not inside shelters (which would be all at this present writing).

Los Angeles County and Orange County had, in 1980, populations of 7,477.400 and 1,932900 (remember: nine years ago), and areas of 4,070 and 798 square miles respectively. The corresponding densities are 1,800 and 2,400 persons per square mile. Those people are, for the most part, concentrated in one-half of Los Angeles County and two-thirds of Orange County, so that the effective density is about 4000 persons per square mile in a 2,500 square mile region that contains 4% of the US population.

Would the Soviets deliver 60 percent of their entire nuclear arsenal on these two counties alone, just to kill all of these people in their shelters? Or would they prefer to use only about one percent of their weapons on these two counties, in order to destroy most of the buildings and kill those people who are not in shelters? We think the answer is obvious. The shelters will survive.

These examples are applicable to most of the U.S.Most of you live in areas like these, or in areas where the population density is lower, and which would be therefore even more safe from Soviet attack if you had blast shelters available.

There is one notable exception: New York City--Manhattan Island, Brooklyn, Bronx, and Queens--contains 6,700,000 people living at densities of 64,900, 31,900, and 27,800, and 17,500 persons per square mile respectively. The area is only 242 square miles. These people could be killed by 500 Soviet nuclear weapons even if they were in the proposed shelters. As improbable as this may seem to us, it is unwise to trust so many lives to the rationality of an evil and irrational opponent. The obvious solution is to build better, deeper shelters and perhaps even tunnels in New York and its suburbs. There are very few equally heavy population densities in the United States, so they do not markedly change the overall program, even if special provisions must be made for them. (Could be why Mr. Nostrodamus saw the rockets firing into New York, however? Pause for thought--by the way, one of the Italian volcano��셲 is in eruption today--has anyone noted? Further, do any of you place significance upon it?)

HIGH POPULATION AREAS MOST VULNERABLE

High population centers are also the most vulnerable to the possibility of a single nuclear explosion (and it would probably be a ground-burst) by terrorists. Potential immediate civilian casualties from such an explosion could be hundreds of thousands, with over a million killed by fallout. However, with shelters and with just 15 minutes warning (perhaps from a ransom demand), the immediate casualties could be reduced to a few thou짯sand. Fallout casualties, even with no warning from the terrorists, would be completely eliminated. People would enter the shelters when they heard the explosion or were alerted by the authorities.

The high-quality blast protection of properly designed shelters limits the killing radius of nuclear weapons to such a great extent that it would be impossible for the Soviets, even with their huge first-strike genocidal weapons inventory, to kill more than 10 percent of the American people if they were in those shelters, and the shelters were installed at your current living density. This fact is not compromised by the very high shelter occupancy rates which you recommend herein, in order to bring the overall cost within currently realistic boundaries. After a minimum number of shelters are installed, guaranteeing that your children can survive, and your soldiers and you, your짯selves, can survive, you can always install more shelters to lower the occupancy and increase your comfort.

***I WILL GUARANTEE THAT YOUR GOVERNMENT WILL END UP PLEDGING MORE IN SUBSIDIES AND BUSINESS LOANS (NOT EVEN CONSIDERING BUSINESS EXCHANGE) TO RUSSIA AND COMMUNIST COUNTRIES THAN DOUBLE THE COST OF A SURVIVAL SYSTEM.--IN YOUR VERY NEAR FUTURE. Ashtar. You, dear ones, are the dead men in the game.***

SHELTER DESIGN

Immediately after the first atomic bombs were exploded over Japan in 1945, scientists in the US, including many who had helped build the bombs, began work on defense against nuclear weapons and particularly civilian defense. As soon as sufficient weapons were available, various tests of shelters were conducted with nuclear weapons. These direct tests and experiments came to an end with the test-ban treaties, treaties which have proved far more valuable to Soviet tyranny than to freedom. Since that time, occasional experiments have been carried out with chemical explosives that provide scaled-down models of some nuclear weapons effects. The largest of those tests conducted in 1985 and scheduled again for mid-1987 utilized 4 kilotons of explosives which simulated the blast wave of an 8-kiloton ground-burst nuclear weapon. The Hiroshima and Nagasaki explosions were air bursts of 12 and 22 kilotons, respectively.

Since protection by buried shelters proved relatively simple, most research since the 1950's has been directed at the problem of reducing cost through engineering innovations. There was an especially large amount of this research carried out in the early 1960's at President Kennedy's order. He ordered this work preparatory to building a national shelter system. This system, which was abandoned after his death, is needed far more urgently today than it was in 1961, when Kennedy concluded that it should be built. If the American people remain unsheltered and therefore perish, Kennedy's murder in Dallas will prove to be an historical event which led step by step to the destruction of the free world.

REGARDING JOHN KENNEDY'S ASSASSINATION

MY PEOPLE ALREADY KNOW THAT WHICH I AM ABOUT TO SAY짯--I ASK THAT ALL OF THE REST OF YOU REFER TO SPACE- GATE. THE VEIL REMOVED. I TELL YOU, AND IT IS WELL KNOWN IN THE CIRCLES OF GOVERNMENT; MR. KENNEDY WAS KILLED BY HIS SECRET SERVICE GUARD WHO DROVE THE DEATH VEHICLE. THIS VERY PROJECT OF PROTECTION OF THE PEOPLE WAS A MAJOR REASON FOR THE MURDER. YOU, AS CITIZENS, HAVE NO COMPREHENSION OF THE PLIGHT YOU ARE NOW WITHIN. YOU HAD BEST BE ASKING GOD FOR ALL THE INSIGHT YOU CAN RECEIVE--IT MOST SURELY IS TIME TO BARGAIN WITH GOD, DEAR BROTHERS. IT IS ALSO TIME MY OWN ONES WORK HARDER AND MORE CAREFULLY IN THE PROTECTIONS OF OUR BELOVED SCRIBES AND RECEIVERS. THIS IS BEYOND INTERNATIONAL INTRIGUE; YOU ARE BOUND INTO INTERGALACTIC, INTRACOSMIC INTRIGUE OF A PLANET AND CIVILIZATION IN TRANSITION--HOW CAN I MAKE YOU HEAR ME? PLEASE, I PETITION YOU, HOW CAN I MAKE YOU HEAR ME? YES, JOHN KENNEDY WAS A MEMBER OF ALL THE SECRET ORGANIZATIONS WHICH ARE EXPOSED, BUT HE SAW WHAT WAS COMING DOWN AND THE GAME CEASED TO BE A GAME FOR HIM; WHEN IT DID--HE WAS MURDERED--THEY PLAY REALLY NASTY AND DEADLY GAMES!

OAK RIDGE INFORMATION

There are several thousand research reports and primary scientific articles which are relevant to blast shelter protection from nuclear weapons. In February 1986, the Emergency Technology Library at Oak Ridge National Laboratory contained a subsection of about 1,000 of those articles. Those 1,000 articles formed most of the primary research material from which was selected a single standardized shelter design for these documents. This design is quite similar to a standardized design which is under development by the scientists at Oak Ridge and to designs which have been repeatedly proposed by engineers and scientists over the past 30 years.

EARTH ARCHING PHENOMENON

When a steel tank, much like a large fuel tank or a large road culvert with sealed ends, is buried under sufficient granular soil and subjected to the high pressures of a nuclear explosion, the sides of the tank yield slightly, and the earth compresses to form a protective arch over the tank. The tank must be strong and flexible. In this way, the strength of re-enforced concrete can be duplicated by a low-cost, lightweight structure. Since the soil also provides and inexpensive massive radiation shield, this is an ideal solution to low-cost blast and radiation protection. Better even, would be compressed "shan짯-stone" underground arched shelters, but we will continue to utilize the standard scheme outlined in the good doctors' book, and save fragmentation distracters.

In order for earth arching to protect the tank from the blast, the tank must not be buried below the water table. There are several means of avoiding this problem in locations where the water table cannot be avoided. One Simple method is to install the tank as usual, and surround it with reinforced concrete to provide the extra strength required.

The shelter discussed herein is a tank made of 1/4 inch thick steel. The tank is 11 and one half feet in diameter and 40 feet long. It is small enough to be transported by truck to the desired location. 75 percent of the tank is designated for living space and 25 percent for storage and common apparatus and facilities.

There is a cost summary at the end of this chapter, based on such a tank structure, as well as a space per occupant summary. The tanks need to be buried with about 10 feet of soil over the top. Tank shelters of this size can be entirely manufactured and equipped in existing metal-fabricating shops and delivered on trucks in complete, functional condition to the installation sites.

An earth moving machine, usually either a large backhoe or a medium size dragline, digs the hole and lowers the shelter into it. The entryways are then either bolted or welded on, and the dirt is replaced. In some cases, where the dirt is poorly suited to earth arching, road gravel would be used as back fill instead of the original soil.

Entry to the shelter is from each end through tubular entries designed with two right-angle turns that will decrease reflected radiation entry. There is an illustration at the end of this chapter. One entry is vertical with a ladder. The other is angled with a slide for rapid entry. This entry works like the tubular fire escapes that were popular in multiple story public schools in the past, or like and airline escape slide. The two entries give safety in case one should be plugged with rubble, and the slide entry allows for very rapid entrance in case of emergency or handicapped persons. We will enlarge upon entry systems to help you with entry covers which will withstand rubble bombardment-you need a sure survival, not both doorways in blockage which is very likely in such a small area. You must have a long entry tunnel into at least one of the entrances.

These entries also serve as ventilation shafts through smaller tubes that join them and connect with the ground surface. The ventilation shafts have blast valves that close automatically when hit by a bomb blast wave. The entries themselves have steel blast doors which are locked mechanically after the people have entered. These parts of the shelter are designed for maximum simplicity as is most of the other shelter equipment. It is important to understand that nuclear explosions are hard on shelters. If some part won't work after it is banged around, bent out of shape, and generally mistreated, then you don't want it on your shelter.

Nuclear explosion blast is an especially impressive phenomenon, Imagine a force that can actually compress the surface of the ground by as much as a foot. The blast doors are flush with the ground to avoid reflected pressure and flying objects. They are backed by large concrete collars which transfer the blast load to the ground rather than to the shelter where it could crush or bend the steel shell.

Once inside the shelter, air for breathing, water for drinking, and a mechanism for cooling to remove metabolic heat (especially in a crowded shelter or a warm climate) are the most immediate needs.

VENTILATION AND COOLING

Air can be supplied from outside air with special precautions to avoid contamination with fallout, chemical, or biological warfare agents. Each shelter is therefore equipped with two air passages, dust filters (in the entryways where the accumulation of some fallout radiation will not harm shelter occupants), and specialized filters to remove dangerous chemical and biological agents. These filters are delicate, so blast valves are installed to protect the filters.

As a backup to this system, and also for use during periods of very high external danger, such as during the attack itself, each shelter contains stored oxygen and carbon dioxide-removal chemicals sufficient to supply the occupants for two days-more if in higher risk areas. This means that the shelter can be closed completely if necessary. Test equipment for monitoring oxygen, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, temperature, and absolute pressure levels is also provided. Additional days of air supply can be provided at a cost of about $12 per person per day.

The best supply of safe water is from a well. This is the source which was utilized in most German bunkers. A well is also required under Soviet shelters. With a well, water is plentiful for personal hygiene as well as simple drinking requirements. Manual pumping must be available and is relatively easily accomplished.

As a backup in case the well is lost to ground motion or contamination, each shelter must store the drinking water required for life for all of the occupants for a period of two weeks. Excellent modular containers have been developed for this purpose. These have the advantage that they can be stacked in the entryways during long term occupancy in order to further reduce radiation levels.

Cooling is extremely important. Depending upon climate and time of year, these shelters could be occupied by 20 or so people whose metabolic heat can be removed by the walls and earth surrounding the shelter. If the shelter were not cooled, however, at the design occupancy of 150 persons, the occupants would eventually die from thermal effects and would be very uncomfortable within a short time.

The shelter, therefore, has two entirely redundant cooling systems. This reduces risk to those inside. First, there is air cooling. Outside air is pumped through the filters and the shelter in much greater amounts than are needed for breathing. The air carries away metabolic heat. The air pumps are redun짯dant, so that in the case of failure of the electricity, manual air pumps can be used.

After the attack, there would be no electricity other than battery power for lights, radios, and meters. Power could be supplied by an emergency generator. An emergency generator, however, is not included in this austere design. Bicycle-type air pumps where the wheels are actually fans have been developed for shelters. The shelter occupants would take turns peddling the pumps.

Second, there is water cooling. Shelter occupants would also take turns on the floor-mounted manual water pumps. The shelter well system is connected to copper cooling coils that cool the shelter with well water. Coating with well water permits operation of the shelter in a completely closed configuration, and it also backs up the air cooling system.

With air, water, and cooling provided, and the survival of the occupants assured, the shelter then provides human comfort items.

Let us have a break please, Dharma. You continue to be distressed over attacks upon us as your sibors. Do not anguish over it; it is simply that ones cannot come into full belief of us with whom you write. Somehow it is too much to accept the highest universal energies, but you most surely do not need tend of it, little one. All men have the right unto their own choices, however, he who cannot come into belief and carry a magnificent impact upon the human masses will of necessity be overpassed.The world must come into truth and I am quite sure God and Sananda can do without instructions on behavior. The listings in the document already sent forth have done most of their work, so most of the questionable ones can be removed. Many were placed in the protected list to simply preserve their lives from their own kind and to call their hand. They would not wish to be listed on our protection list, not being of us. It was a necessary ploy and has most certainly served its purpose, starting with Mr. Cooper.It is very dangerous to be on our list if you are actually of the dark side-the dark brothers will wipe you away and will not wait for the asking and the answers. So be it. Let us have a brief respite.

Ashtar to stand-by. Salu